Monday, November 3, 2008

Short answer: "Hell, yes!"

Someone asked, "You said in an earlier post you planned to read Dante while on sabbatical. Have you followed through with your intention?"

Long answer: "Hell, yes! I have my doubts about Purgatory, but I sure hope I make it to Paradise!"

I'm referring, of course, to Dante's "Divine Comedy," which I am thoroughly enjoying, even though I haven't laughed out loud even once yet. Either the jokes don't translate or, like in Shakespeare, they don't age well. I confess I've giggled a couple of times at some of the tortures. I mean, the hypocrites really get what they deserve, don't they? Such losers!

But seriously, friends, I ain't got much for you today. My mind's not so much on Renaissance Florence as it is on my homeland in the present day, in this critical hour. I wish I could come back for the next couple of days. I hate the thought of missing out on history in the making. But then, come to think of it, I was out of the country the last two times a Democrat won the White House. Hmmm... Never mind. I'm happy to stay put.

No comments: